Google Chrome is amazingly fast and lightweight. I have used Firefox for a long time, but it used to be so slow. I jumped to Google Chrome in its beta stages when I saw how light the browser was and how fast the pages were loading. It is still the fastest browser. And it has so many features that makes it such a wonderful browser. Here I am listing the top 12 reasons that comes to my mind about why I love Google Chrome. In the future, I will expand on these points and will also talk about other cool features of Chrome.
1. You can search directly in the Address bar. No need to go to a separate search box as in other browsers like Firefox or IE.
2. You can have the same Google Chrome settings no matter which computer you are in. For example, I use Google Chrome on Mac at home, but use Google Chrome on Windows 7 at work, exactly with the same settings. If I bookmark something when I am at work, it is available in my home.
3. You can have more than 1 user, all with their set of extensions and bookmarks and other customizations. This is a feature that has been so useful for me especially on my home computer as I share the Mac with my wife. Now we have 2 different Google Chrome browsers, each one for us on the same computer.
4. You can enable Instant Search and as you type, you will see search results on the address bar. No need to wait for the Google Search Results page to load.
5. I often look up exchange rates. For example, if I want to see the rates between Euro to CHF, I will type Euro to CHF in the address bar and press enter and I will see today’s exchange rate. If I want to know how much USD I will get for 1250 CHF, then I type 1250 CHF to USD in the address bar and I see the results. In fact, you can even give a complex calculation also – you can use 1250*2 CHF to USD and you will get the right results
6. Whenever I encounter an English word that I don’t know, I double-click on that word, and thanks to the Google Dictionary extension, I get the translation in a small pop-up. No need to leave the page.
7. If my computer crashes, when I restart, Chrome asks me whether I want all the windows to be restored. When we are in the Windows world, this feature is very helpful.
8. If you close a tab by accident, you can press CTRL + SHIFT +T to bring it back.
9. New Tab page gives you a list of your most visited pages with pretty thumbnails.
10. From the new tab page, you can see the tabs open in any other computer running Chrome. For example, Now I am on my home computer. But I can see the tabs on the Chrome in my office computer by clicking on the ‘Other Devices’ link at the bottom of the new tab page.
11. You can easily hide the Bookmarks bar by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+B. When you click on a new Tab, Google Chrome will show you the Bookmarks bar even when you have hidden it because you might want to open one of your bookmarks – so intelligent 🙂
12. There is an incognito mode which would be helpful when you have guests at your home who wants to check their email account – you open a new Incognito window and they can check their gmail account without the need for you to log out from your Gmail account. Also, when they close their tab, all their history is gone – Cool, isn’t it?
So, what are you waiting for? If you are not using Google Chrome already, get started now.
Tagged: Google Chrome Tips